Re: Drive Shaft Question

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Drive Shaft Question
From: tomomalley@hey.net (Tom O'Malley)
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 21:19:25 GMT
>I am in the process of fitting a single rail gearbox to my '74 Spit.  My
>question is:  Can I have the original drive shaft trimmed to fit the longer
>gearbox?  I have the shaft with the "CV" looking joint and I have a real
>good drive line shop here in town that can cut and weld it back as well as
>balance it.  Seems as if it will work, what does the collective think?

I completed this swap on my '74 recently but I used the later, shorter
driveshaft.  Your description of the old driveshaft has me confused a
bit.  Mine was the "strap-type"....two u-joints and a flex arrangement
on one end comprised of several metal strips.  The later type that I
replaced it with reminds me more of a "CV looking joint".

I suspect that you could shorten the earlier shaft for reuse but I'm
not sure.  I prefer the later shaft for several reasons:  It's smaller
diameter makes it a bit lighter, it's easier to install and remove,
and the CV type joint can telescope several inches.  Not true with the
strap type...you'll need to measure the length *very* carefully.

The downside of the later shaft though is that you can't service the
CV joint...AFAIK.  BTW...if your '74 is like mine then you'll need to
do a few more things to complete the conversion.

* cut about 4" from the transmission tunnel <floorpan> and fabricate
or buy an access cover.

* new speedo cable *and* later speedometer in correct revs per mile.

* modify original cardboard tranny cover hole with 1/2" offset to the
right for new shifter location...new longer shifter boot needed too.

* possibly more things I can't think of right now...e-mail me if
interested.

Regards...Tom O'Malley
'74, '77 Spits