Voltage stabilizer

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Voltage stabilizer
From: Hap Cohen <hap_cohen@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 14:49:27 -0500
Last May there was some discussion about voltage stabilizers.  Apparently
TRF and others were selling solid state stabilizers in two variations.  One
was a 4.5v device and the other was 10v.  Somebody had documentation that
10v was correct for most Triumphs.  I am not sure what the application was
for the lower voltage device.  Derek Evans in Australia recommended using
an LM317 and a couple of resistors to make a stabilizer that fit in the
stock stabilizer housing.  I tried it on both my 73 spit and 70 GT6 and now
when my gas gauge says "E", I better be pulling in the gas station.  I have
not noticed any change in accuracy since it has turned cold with the onset
of winter.  I still have the diagrams (GIF files) that Derek sent me if
anyone is interested.