Vibration Damper (Was- Re: New Survey)

To: EPaul21988@aol.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Vibration Damper (Was- Re: New Survey)
From: cloughbt@batman.flight.wpafb.af.mil (Bruce T. Clough)
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 12:19:20 -0500
Bob,

That little gizmo is a harmonic (vibration) damper (actually damper is a bad
term, the addition of mass moves some resonance to a lower frequency where it
doesn't correspond with some other mechanical resonance, it doesn't actually
dissapate any energy) that fits over the very end of non-OD TR4 trannies.
It clamps over the aluminum trannie tailpiece, and does not attach, or
rotate, with the drive shaft.  It is a royal pain to put on while both
the trannie and trannie cover are in the car.

I've run TR4s with, and without it.  Haven't noticed a difference.  I
originally thought some huge vibration would destroy the drive train, or
rattle my teeth out, but neither happened.  I did put the piece back on
CT2966L when we rebuilt the drivetrain.

Bruce Clough