TR6 Thrust Washer ?

To: "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR6 Thrust Washer ?
From: "M. V. Morelli" <morelli@mickey.jsc.nasa.gov>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 17:20:05 -0600
Cc: "Morelli, Michael V." <MSMNET/GP907/mmorelli@lonestar.jsc.nasa.gov>
I know this is a fresh subject, however, I am now in the midst of replacing my
thrust washers.
And YES, I was a bit too late and they dropped into the sump (one terribly worn
- presumably the front, and
one with slight ware).  They just recently dropped (as noted my inability to
disengage the clutch).

I understand the procedure for replacing the TWs,  however, I want to make sure
that I identify and fix any
problems that might have been perpetrated.

My question:  "what type/extent of ware should I be looking for/expecting on
the crank, 4th main bearing
cap, bearing, block, or elsewhere?"

The engine has good oil pressure, so at this point I do not suspect there is
much ware on
the bearings.

Some background:  engine rebuild in '89 (20k  miles ago) by PO, this
included new pistons, bearings, thrust washers (.005 oversized), etc....

Thanks for any comments, cautions, or caustic remarks.

Mike Morelli
Houston, TX
morelli@mickey.jsc.nasa.gov
76' (no longer a daily driver, but hopefully will be soon)