Voltage stabiliser

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Voltage stabiliser
From: tomomalley@hey.net (Tom O'Malley)
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 19:52:13 GMT
Hap writes:

>an LM317 and a couple of resistors to make a stabilizer that fit in the
>stock stabilizer housing.  I tried it on both my 73 spit and 70 GT6 and now
>when my gas gauge says "E", I better be pulling in the gas station.  I have
>not noticed any change in accuracy since it has turned cold with the onset
>of winter.  I still have the diagrams (GIF files) that Derek sent me if
>anyone is interested.

The LM317 is an adjustable solid state voltage regulator, and yes it
will work.  Another possible replacement is the 78XX series that comes
in fixed voltage assignments, but even those can be adjusted if you
get one rated higher then your desired output voltage.

If you tie a potentiometer to the controlling leg of the LM317, you
could actually tune the circuit on the fly for optimal readings.

Still though, whatever voltage you finally settle on will be
unwavering and your target devices are definitely heater driven
instruments.

Besides Hap...everyone knows there's no "E" on Spitfire fuel gauges.
 :-)

Cheers!

Tom O'Malley
'74, '77 Spits