Re: German Listeners......

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: German Listeners......
From: Jochen.Saal@t-online.de (Jochen Saal)
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 00:18:57 +0100
Cc: largsbay@student.adelaide.edu.au
I bought my car in Seattle June 1991, drove all the way down to SF and shipped
it to Germany (shipping cost in Seattle were ridicules).
I currently own two cars, one is a BMW 325 and the other a '74 TR6 Carb.
As you may know, people are allowed to drive as fast as they like (or the car
can ...) as long as there are no speed limits. Speed limits are usually near
cities where are many crossing and drivers needs to take more care.

Now, the speed question: I set up my personal record 2 years ago when I needed
2
hours and 10 minutes from Munich to Frankfurt. The distance is approximately
250
miles, so my average speed was 115 mph. Top speed of my BMW is 138 mph. This
was
on an early Sunday morning with almost no traffic on the Autobahn. During
working days, It's just impossible to go that fast, there are simply too many
slow cars on the road.

Now, how fast did I drove my TR6?
Needless to say, that this is an old car and needs to be treated like on. After
I made some modifications to the engine, I got  something like 120 bhp. I've
also exchanged the diff to a 1:3.45 and a 5-speed tranny from a Rover SD1. I
have measured a top speed of 185 Km/h (115mph) with the tacho was just entering
the red line. I made this only for a few minutes,  Triumph engine are not build
for constant full power output, oil and water got very fast hot and the piston
speed is horrible high. I use my TR6 to drive to work only on sunny days during
 summertime. Than I usually do not exceed 85mph.
I really was astonished about the TR6 chassis, I did not expect that an over 30
years old design could be that stabile at high speeds. They made a pretty good
job in the early sixties.

For those of you Americans, who had made some experiences on Germans Autobahn
have only two opinions:  either love it or hate it.
I have some American  colleagues who were visiting the German company 3-4 times
a year.  Some of them rent BMW's or Porsches and have fun, other’s bend the
front passenger floor of my car by trying to brake while I am driving.

That’s life on German Autobahn (highways).

Jochen Saal
'74 TR6