Spit rear brakes & axle stuff

To: Triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Spit rear brakes & axle stuff
From: Edward Hamilton <hamilton@ptd.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 21:06:19 -0500
Having begun the examination of a recently acquired '80 Spit, I've
started with the brake system and now understand the group reference to
DPO.  Both brake drums have stress cracks in them, which I think is
rather odd.  Upon further examination, I find that left hand axle shaft
is welded at the spline where it enters the yoke.  I have no idea why as
I assume the shaft is pressed into the yoke.  In addition to this, after
removing the brake shoes and cleaning the area, I find a hole (about
1/8"x3/4") behind the outer wheel hub.  This looks like it was done with
a torch.  My only guess is that it was the PO way of packing greese into
the bearings, or slight of hand with the torch.
With that said, I have driven the car, approximately 250 miles, and it
seems to operate fine.  The question is, should I replace the unit or
let it alone?  If so, just the shaft, yoke and outer flange or replace
the complete assembly.  And after thats done, should the right side be
replaced as well....or is there really no relationship.  Currently, the
right side appears normal in all respects.
Thanks for the comments,

Ed Hamilton
'80 Spit -- bought for enjoyment and relaxation?