Re: Spit rear brakes & axle stuff

To: Edward Hamilton <hamilton@ptd.net>
Subject: Re: Spit rear brakes & axle stuff
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 18:23:06 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Edward Hamilton wrote:

> Having begun the examination of a recently acquired '80 Spit, I've
> started with the brake system and now understand the group reference to
> DPO.  Both brake drums have stress cracks in them, which I think is
> rather odd.  Upon further examination, I find that left hand axle shaft
> is welded at the spline where it enters the yoke.  I have no idea why as
> I assume the shaft is pressed into the yoke.

Examine the yoke and see if it is the correct one for your car.  I found
the same thing on my Spit due to the dpo not being able to find the
correct replacement.  His solution was to weld it on because if did not
fit right.  If you want it, I think I still have it!

> In addition to this, after
> removing the brake shoes and cleaning the area, I find a hole (about
> 1/8"x3/4") behind the outer wheel hub.  This looks like it was done with
> a torch.  My only guess is that it was the PO way of packing greese into
> the bearings, or slight of hand with the torch.
> With that said, I have driven the car, approximately 250 miles, and it
> seems to operate fine.  The question is, should I replace the unit or
> let it alone?  If so, just the shaft, yoke and outer flange or replace
> the complete assembly.

I assume the weld is the same place as mine was (yoke welded to output
shaft). If so, I definately would replace it with the correct parts.
Likely the thing is no where near balanced and that is probably the
reason for your problems.

>And after thats done, should the right side be
> replaced as well....or is there really no relationship.  Currently, the
> right side appears normal in all respects.

I don't see any reason to replace both sides, only the one that has been
welded.

Regards,
Joe Curry