Re: A-post renovation

To: td214@cus.cam.ac.uk, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: A-post renovation
From: "Jonathan Miles" <MILESJE@novell2.bham.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 09:52:16
> I'm in the middle of big renovations to my very rusty (and trusty)
> Spitfire 1500 (sophie). Just about replaced the floor on one side and am
> now investigating the A post...
> Horror of horrors RUST..
> the lower hinge support inside the A-post is pretty rusted out, explains
> the line of rust bubbles on the front of the A-post..
> My question is, has anyone tried to repair this sort of thing with out
> total removal of the A-post?
> I think I should be able to do this with some clever use of an angle
> grinder and some repair sections plug welded into place, its just I worry
> about what might be lurking underneath.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated...
> Can't reply too quickly as I am and only a Digest person...
> Cheers
> Tim

Tim,

I've been there, and came to the conclusion that the best fix was to
replace the whole A-post. The replacement panels are an excellent fit
and come complete with the tapped hinge plates etc. If you go down
this route be sure to support the bulkhead/windscreen assembly before
you cut out the a-post. The job really needs to be done in
conjunction with the replacement of the outer sill. Because the outer
sill overlaps the a-post panel. However, i'm sure you'll be able to
find a way round this if necessary.

Good Luck!

Jonathan

Spitfire 1500