Prince of darkness strikes-TR3

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Prince of darkness strikes-TR3
From: kinderlehrer@mindspring.com (Kinderlehrer's)
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 21:16:02 -0500 (EST)
Hi all,

I need some ideas on an electrical problem, again.  Went for a long ride
today, with no problems, except that the Tach decided not to work.
Strange, it was always very solid, no bouncing or anything.

Made several stops and starts, finally pulled into the garage and just
before my hand could reach the key to turn it off, the motor died.  Thought
it strange, it never stalls normally.  Then decided to see what was up with
the tach. I disconnected the cable and thought I would see if the end
turned.  Turned the key and nothing - no reading on the fuel gauge,
ammeter, no lights,  no starter.

Here's what I did so far:
1. replaced a blown fuse in a fuse holder under the dash (no reference on
the wiring diagram, red wire in and out). no difference.  I may have blown
it fooling around with the ignition switch.
2. Checked the other 2 fuses under the hood with a continuity tester - they
were ok.
3. crossed the terminals on the back of the ignition switch - nothing.
4, pushed the button on the back of the solenoid  - starter spins
5. put a test light across the ammeter terminals, I get a light, but only
with th eignition switch in the on position.
6. put the test light across the A and A1 terminals on the voltage
regulator - nothing.
7. Put the test light across the positive battery and the ground terminal
on the voltage regulator. It lights.
8. Played around with and re-tightened the ground wire under the dash -
coincidentily (?) connected to a mounting lug on the tach.

Thanks in advance for any insight or ideas.  I am thnkful I didn't get
stuck up in the Santa Clara moutanins wihtout a phone, but this is a bit
frustrating.

Bob