Re: TR3 Front Wings

To: ROBERT SUGGITT <rsuggitt@bmts.com>
Subject: Re: TR3 Front Wings
From: ron botting <rcb2@istar.ca>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 13:41:58 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
At 07:35 PM 11/27/97 -0800, you wrote:

>Ron,
>       Thanks for the response.  It seems we are at the same stage in front
>wing
>repair.  I've also separated my flanges by drilling out the spot welds.  I
>then matched the two fenders up back to back to check the curvature.  No
>match at all ! At least an inch difference in several locations.   I can
>see why the suppliers give a disclaimer about fitting the repro wings.  It
>was at this point that I panicked and thought about getting new wings.
>
>       However I've calmed down a bit and now intend to follow your
>suggestions
>for rebuilding the flanges.  Deciding the curvature at the front will be
>difficult.  I wonder if anyone has original engineering drawings?
> Unfortunately my vertical pieces have been bodged badly by a previous
>owner.  The pound or two of brazing rod melted into the holes likely warped
>the wings. What I did do was to trace the two wing sections on either side
>of a large peice of transparent drafting paper.  I then sketched a best fit
>line between the two curves.  Someone like the Roadster factory could
>likely make a few bucks selling repair flanges.  Let me know how your final
>fit-up goes
>

>Rob

Rob

My '57 also hand such bodged up front wings that I could not ascertain the
proper 'Line' or 'curvature' of the front Vertical sections of the Rails,
(or of the wings themselves for that matter). As I mentioned, I had another
set of wings off a parts car, and the only salvageable portion of these
other wings was the front sections, (1+1=1) or something like that. I
believe that after carefully drilling out the spot welds on my second set
of wings, what I have is perfect pattern for the vertical piece.

The Wings off my parts car were mated to the front apron with a perfect
fit. lots of other trouble with my second set of wings and my second apron,
but the 'fit' between the fenders and wings had never been disturbed and
the lines looked really good before I disassembled them to assist with my
pattern making.

If you want them, I can attempt to trace these lines onto a pattern of
somesort and mail them too you, if you wish.

rcb