TR 7 Coolant Leak

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR 7 Coolant Leak
From: "John Di Fede"<difejo@consumer.org>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 97 12:05:16 -0500

     I recently aquired a 1980 TR-7.  The engine runs, but leaks coolant
     from a oval hole (vent?) in the engine block just below the water pump
     inlet.  I can see into the hole and it looks to be the water pump
     housing in the engine block.

     My questions.

     Does this type of leak indicate a bad water pump?  Since the pump is
     in the engine block I'm reasoning that a bad (leaky pump) would leak,
     and rather then leak into the crank case, it was designed to leak down
     the outside of the engine block.

     And should the oval hole in the side of the block have some sort of
     cover?

     Can anybody help me? The parts catalogues don't show this level of
     detail, and I haven't received the shop manual yet.

     I'm hoping that the block is not cracked.!

     John DiFede                difejo@consumer.org
     Hopewell Junction NY.

     73 MGB
     75 TR-6