RE: e-mail responses

To: "Peter J. Thomas" <pjthomas@snet.net>, "'Brian Harper'" <brian@ati.com>
Subject: RE: e-mail responses
From: Trevor Jordan <tjordan@pa.ausom.net.au>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 11:41:49 +1100
Cc: "'Triumph'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
At 10:29 +1100 3/12/97, Peter J. Thomas wrote:
>Brian Harper wrote:

>---------------------
>But if others are having the problem perhaps the
>list can trim significantly?
>---------------------
>
>Also, I suggest prefixing subjects some acronym. I suggest "TR ", e.g. "TR
>leaky fuel line" or "TR vin numbers".  I subscribe to the list using the
>same account I use for work and other lists.  This prefix will make
>identifying Triumph list posts easy.  When working, I try to copy the
>Triumph posts to a separate folder and read them at a more politically
>correct time.  Other mail lists do this and it works well.  When I see the
>prefix, I know immediately that this a fun post and not a work post.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Peter Thomas

This can already be done with filters in an email application (eg Eudora).
I currently use <triumphs@autox.team.net> in the sender field to filter the
messages to a folder called "Triumphs" which I can read at an appropriate
time.

However, good subject descriptions are still very useful.  With the large
number of messages on this list, I have to delete many without reading
them.  Wherever possible, we should include the relevant vehicles, if any,
in the subject.  "TR5/6/250 Oil Leak" is a much more informative subject
than "Oil Leak" as it enables the TR2-4/7/8 etc owners to skip the message
if they wish.

Trevor Jordan
74 TR6 CF29281U