Re: rh, A Arm Assembly

To: curry@wolfenet.com
Subject: Re: rh, A Arm Assembly
From: "L.D. Hooven" <dirty_howi@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 1997 19:50:03 PST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

>L.D. Hooven wrote:
>>

>> my question
>> is has anyone seen where the bolt, that is apparant in the vic-brit
>> catalog mechanical drawing, has broken off.
>
>I must assume that the bolt you are referring to is either Item 8 or
the
>Sway Bar link itself (item 12) in the picture on Page 123 of THe VB
>catalog.  If it is item 8, you may have trouble gettit the rest of the
>bolt out of the end of the swaybar.  If it is item 12, certainly all
you
>need to replace is the link.  If you need (or want) to replace the
whole
>swaybar, I have one from a '75 that appears to be in good shape.  I'll
>let you have it for $40.00 plus shipping.
>

>> it is also not
>> apparent on the catalog mechanical drawing if the sway linkage goes
in
>> front of or behind the struts/shock spring combo. ( if memory serves
it
>> is in what would be considered front when facing the suspension).
>
>The Swaybar Link bolts go through the Lower "A" frame eyelet from
>behind, so that the swaybar ends are below the "A" Frame.  The haynes
>manual has a good illustration  on page 11.
>>
>> also as an aside, what is everyones impression of stainless steel
fuel
>> and brake lines instead of rubber.  the type they use on race cars. i
>> think i got in on the tail end of that discussion the last time and
>> missed the most important stuff.
>
>I think my opinion is best illustrated by the fact that I just ordered
>set of 4 braided stainless brake hoses for my Spit.  As for fuel lines,
>the expense may be a little extreme.  Brakes, however are critical.  I
>have seen too many Spits whose rear brake hoses have flat spots from
>rubbing against the axle shafts.  You may want to check yours for
>obvious wear.
>
>Regards,
>Joe Curry
>

>sorry for the length i left joes message attached for edification.

the bolt i refer to is the one that appears to be part of the sway bar
link assembly item (forward projected) #12 on page 123 of the vic brit
catalog.  where  the "ball" joint meets with the lower a- arm is where
the bailing wire is, holding the whole thing together.  for fear of
losing the right front end to the ground i  have not cut the wire.  the
sway bar does not appear to be wired with the remainder of the assembly
(best i could tell in the dark, cold gloom of december outside).

btw,  does anyone have any experience with the neoprene bushings that
moss sells for the sway bars??  are they any better in corner handling?

greatly appreciate all answers, possibilitys and the occasional fallacy
:o)~

larry

larry, 1979 spitfire (currently in permanant convertible
mode)

of all the things i've lost i miss my mind the most,
i stopped to think one day and forgot to start again