Re: front seal and related stuff

Subject: Re: front seal and related stuff
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 11:43:09 -0800 (PST)
Cc: peterz@merak.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Tue, 2 Dec 1997 MMDBR@aol.com wrote:

> I've been told that to test the timing chain, you put a timing light on, run
> the engine to 2500-3000 rpm and if the mark doesn't jump all over the place,
> the chain is ok.

I have never tried this,  so I have no idea for accuracy.

The Dodge slant six has a timing chain-- they suggest the following
practice (I'm going off memory, so I could be wrong...):

Take the distributor cap off and put a big socket on the crankshaft.  You
may want to remove the spark plugs.

Turn the crank until you see the rotor on the dizzy start to turn.  Then
stop and turn the other way.  You can get a fair estimate of the slop in
the chain by doing this.  However I don't think that the Dodge has a chain
tensioner, maybe there's some play involved with that...?

-Malcolm