Re: Calling Abroad...

To: "Nick" <Nickbk@worldnet.att.net>, "Triumph Guys" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Calling Abroad...
From: Trevor Jordan <tjordan@pa.ausom.net.au>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 15:06:09 +1100
At 14:22 +1100 4/12/97, Nick wrote:
>Ok guys, I'm stumped. How the heck do you fax England. I've talked to
>several different operators, and while all are knowlegeable sounding, they
>all gave me different answers and so far none work. I'm trying to get thru
>to TriumphTune in Surrey. The number I have for them is 01-940 9268. I've
>tried 011 441 372 (01) 940 9268 (that is with and without the 01 part).
>I've been told its 011 to get international
>                                           441 for England
>                                           372 for Surrey
>                                           940 9268 for the number
>So far I can't get past the International connection, the recording just
>says that I have dialed incorrectly.
>
>Any insight ?
>   Nick, digitally challanged, in Nor Cal

It is actually 44 for the UK and then the area code.

The standard practice outside North America is to drop the zero and insert
the country code for international dialling.  Your number would then become:

        +44 1 940 9268

where + represents whatever you have to dial to get international access.

HOWEVER, I think your number is long out of date.  Digit 1 was the area
code for London until 1990, when it was split into 171 for inner London and
181 for outer London.  I believe the area codes were changed again a couple
of years later.  Somebody with a modern catalogue or magazine should be
able give you the current number for Triumphtune.

Trevor Jordan
74 TR6 CF29281U