Steering Wheel Headaches

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Steering Wheel Headaches
From: Alan Camhi <camhi@symbol.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 1997 16:36:32 -0500
The steering wheel saga continues.  Heres a heads up for all of you considering
ordering a Moto-Lita steering wheel from Finish Line, Inc.

I ordered my wheel for my 65 TR4 from Enzo(the owner) and was very pleased by
his service and friendlliness.  I received it two days later and I must say it
was/is absolutely stunning.

The problem is that the hub that came with the wheel does not perfectly fit and
mate to the steering column and housing.  It has an inside diameter that is too
small, not to mention that the hub is too long.

I spoke to Enzo after discovering this and was told that "he hates these cars
and that most of them have replacement steering columns that with will not mate
with the hub supplied by Moto-Lita".  I asked him why he didn't tell me this up
front and got no real reply. Not too smart on his part.  Thats kind of a big
thing to overlook.
He allowed me(if I wanted to) to return it back to him(via mail) and would then
refund me.

I decided to keep it and make it fit since it looks so good.  I bought a dremel
and will be grinding this puppy.  Luckily it is made of aluminum so it
shouldn't be a big deal.

Take what you will from this posting.  I think Ishould have been alerted to the
possibility of an incompatible wheel hub at timne of purchase.  That is my only
gripe.  Oh well.....buyer beware.  Anyway, it finally gave me a way to justify
to my wife why I need a dremel(she is not an true LBC fan).

Thanks for putting up with this long e-mail.  I hope it saves someone else the
hassles I'm dealing with right now.

Cheers,

Alan Camhi
'65 TR4