Re: Steering Wheel Headaches

To: Alan Camhi <camhi@symbol.com>
Subject: Re: Steering Wheel Headaches
From: Larry Schilling <lchillin@siu.edu>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 09:47:12 -0600 (CST)
Cc: TRIUMPHS@Autox.Team.Net
Just to pass on some info....

I purchased a Moto-Lita steering wheel for my '73 Stag from Rimmers Bros.
and it fit perfectly and looks great.

At 04:36 PM 12/4/97 -0500, you wrote:
>The steering wheel saga continues.  Heres a heads up for all of you
considering ordering a Moto-Lita steering wheel from Finish Line, Inc.

>I ordered my wheel for my 65 TR4 from Enzo(the owner) and was very pleased
by his service and friendlliness.  I received it two days later and I must
say it was/is absolutely stunning.

>The problem is that the hub that came with the wheel does not perfectly fit
and mate to the steering column and housing.  It has an inside diameter that
is too small, not to mention that the hub is too long.

>I spoke to Enzo after discovering this and was told that "he hates these
cars and that most of them have replacement steering columns that with will
not mate with the hub supplied by Moto-Lita".  I asked him why he didn't
tell me this up front and got no real reply. Not too smart on his part.
Thats kind of a big thing to overlook.
>He allowed me(if I wanted to) to return it back to him(via mail) and would
then refund me.

>I decided to keep it and make it fit since it looks so good.  I bought a
dremel and will be grinding this puppy.  Luckily it is made of aluminum so
it shouldn't be a big deal.

>Take what you will from this posting.  I think Ishould have been alerted to
the possibility of an incompatible wheel hub at timne of purchase.  That is
my only gripe.  Oh well.....buyer beware.  Anyway, it finally gave me a way
to justify to my wife why I need a dremel(she is not an true LBC fan).

>Thanks for putting up with this long e-mail.  I hope it saves someone else
the hassles I'm dealing with right now.