Re: Seatbelts

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Seatbelts
From: msecres@ibm.net
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 1997 11:11:07 -0800
JoeSimcoe@aol.com wrote:

> Bob -
>
> <<One seat belt will not retract properly, and the other
> seat belt will not lock when pulled out quickly.  Any recommendations?>>
>
> As for retracting - beats me - I have the same problem with a set that I
> worked on.  My best guess is that you need to retension the spring on the
> side opposite the mechanism.  I was chickent to mess with it as I was afraid
> if I let it "Sproing" out of the body I'd never get it put back togeter.
>
> As for the 'catching".  Pulling out fast has no effect on them.  There is a
> litte pendulum device that hangs down in the mechanism.  You need to mount
> your belts so that this hangs plum.  The idea is that when the car stops
> suddenly the pendulum from inertia continues to move forward thus getting out
> of alignment (moves out of the plum position) this engages the catching
> mechanism.

Don't some of the TR6's and Spitfires share the same inertial mechanism?  In
any case,
when I swapped out the driver's side belt on my Spit with a used one in better
condition, only in its mounted position in the car (as per Joe Simcoe's note
above) did
the unit work.  And in the car, it's a little schizo, too ...

--
Martin Secrest
74 Spitfire

PS:  The PO of my GT6 somehow was able to fit a completely new (and different)
belt to
the original mechanism, God bless him ...