Re: Art Kelly re: No TR4 deck lid emblem on body 285CT

To: DLM Assoc <DLMAssoc@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Art Kelly re: No TR4 deck lid emblem on body 285CT
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 1997 16:12:59 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
DLM Assoc wrote:

> Art:
>
> I pulled my TR4 parts car (body 285CT, 1961 I presume) out of the weeds today
> and checked the deck lid for holes where the "TR4" emblem might have been.
> All the other holes are where they should be, but nothing on the right side to
> indicate anything had ever been there.
>
> Just another data point...
>
> Don Marshall

One note on checking older cars for covered-up holes to see about what
was and what should be there.

In the case of replacement parts (especially multi-use parts), holes are
typically not drilled at the factory.  Therefore, if the lid had been
replaced anytime in the past, the dpo may have left the emblem off
either because he thought it looked better, or because the emblem
broke.  He then would not have drilled holes for it.

Case in point.  I purchased a NOS Deck lid for my "63 Spit and it had no
holes at all.  (That way it could have been used on all early Spits.  I
had to drill hiles for the TRIUMPH letters as well as the Spitfire4
emblem.  I could just as easily have omitted them all.

Joe Curry   '63 Spit