TR6 Altenator wiring question

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR6 Altenator wiring question
From: John Duhart <DUHART@symbol.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 1997 11:01:56 -0500
Hey All,

 I'm replacing my old butchered wiring harness with one I purchased from the
net (Tom M. I believe).  The replacement harness is an exact match of the 75-76
wiring harness Diagram found on page 18 of the Bently manual,  That is the good
news.

 The bad news is that my old wiring harness is some cross between the 72-74
diagram and the 75-76 diagram.

 My current problem is as follows.  The connect at the Altenator and the
positive battery cable is different.  On my original harness has three wires
connecting to the altenator at the plastic connector.  Two are thick Brown
wires and the other is a smaller wire.  On my replacement harness there is only
two wires in the plastic connector, one is a thick Brown wire, and another
smaller wire.

 The thick brown wires seem to run to the harness where the positive battery
cable is.  My battery cable is the red one with that four prong black Lucas
connector in the middle.   My orginal harness has four thick brown wires (same
as at the altenator) connected there.  My replacement harness only has three
connector to connect.

 I'm betting that the Brown wire that is missing at the altenator is the same
wire that is missing at the positive battery connection.

 I have a 18ARC altenator.

 My question is:

1) What is that extra brown wire for
2) Can I use the replacement harness or am I in trouble.
3) Does anyone know of a diagram that represents my original wiring harness a
little better?