Re: Unleaded Fuel / Valve seat inserts

To: Linda and Bill Sohl <billsohl@planet.net>
Subject: Re: Unleaded Fuel / Valve seat inserts
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 1997 11:42:58 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

Linda and Bill Sohl wrote:

> >Date: Sun, 14 Dec 1997 10:24:07 +0100
> >From: Odd Hedberg <odd@triumphclub.se>
> >Subject: Re: Unleaded Fuel / Valve seat inserts
> >
> >Guyot Leon F wrote to us on the subject of leaded fuel
> >disappearing from the British market in the next century,
> >and then asked if anyone had any experience with different
> >methods of inserting harder valve seats into cast iron heads...
> >> Does anyone have any further thoughts on all this grief ?
> >> Leon
>
> >I can comment on the subject and say that in Sweden we've
> >had no leaded fuel for something like 10-15 years now, to
> >no ill effect it seems.
>
> We've had no lead in the USA for about 20 years.  The northeast hasn't
> had any leaded for at least that length of time.  No ill effects reported
> for Triumph owners.  The Vintage Triumph Register asked its membership
> for any personal experiences about 10 years ago.  The only comments
> we got were from folks that said they had no ill effects.  One person wrote
> and said they never used leaded at all (unleaded AMOCO was available
> for many years before the total elimination of leaded) in their TR-3
> for the entire life of the car and had no problems with valve recession.

I guess that we have now conclude that there is no drawback at all in using
unleaded fuel in out BLC's.  Until now everybody has been doing it with no ill
effect.  However, we just couldn't leave well enough alone.  No we just HAD to
start talking about it.

Now..get ready.. within the next week, we can all expect to see a rash of
failures due to valve seats dropping out of the head.  And it won't be caused
by unleaded gas!  No indeed!.  It will be caused by that guy named Murphy who
has a habit of popping up just when everything seems to be going too smoothly.

As for myself, I try to concentrate on problems rather than potential
problems.  That way I keep Murphy busy with what is already broken and he can't
affect anything that is not.

With that said, I wish everyone (yes everyone) a very Merry Christmas, a happy
Hanukkah and a very prosperous New Year.

Best Regards to all

Joe Curry