Re: Which oil filter for spit 1979 1500cc?

To: MR DANIEL R CAREY <QAZX57A@prodigy.com>
Subject: Re: Which oil filter for spit 1979 1500cc?
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 1997 12:13:22 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Daniel,
There has been quite a bit of discussion on that very subject.  I don't
know if the group ever came to any conclusions, though.  The issue seems
to be revolving around the fact that the filter mounts in a position
where the oil will drain back into the engine when idle.  Though there
are a number of filters that work (fit on the adapter), you must be
careful to select one that has a built-in valve that prevents the oil
from flowing back into the engine.  That way it is full when the engine
starts and does not represent the immediate loss of pressure that you
get when you fire up after a filter change.

My present selection is a NAPA gold 1374.  I compared the Specs to
others I have found and it seems to be among the best.  Incidentally, it
is of the smaller diameter.  I think this is preferable if for no other
reason than it's easier to remove.

Regards,
Joe Curry   '63 Spit (w/1500 power)