Spitfire headers

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spitfire headers
From: Dave Simpson <dsimpson@ds2.ncweb.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 1997 18:29:40 -0500
To: List

    I just spent the afternoon installing a new set headers on my 1976
Spitfire.  The new ones were ceramic coated headers from "PaceSetter"
brand.  I was replacing set of older "Pace" chromed header that finally
rusted out.  The new headers were purchased from J.C. Whitney.  The new
headers were longer than the old ones by about 4 inches, on the lower
horizontal section
(these are 4 into 1 type).  The old ones fit fine with no adjusting.
The new headers were too long to fit down in between the frame and
engine.  I had to cut off about 2 inches on the outlet  end and then
take off the front engine mountes and jack up the engine to get the
header past the frame. If anyone else does this watch and make sure that
the engine mount does not get stuck on the frame bracket and tear
(OPPS).  Also with these headers being longer the adapter piece will not
work.  But I should be able to work around that easily.  Note that these
are the same brand the Vicki Brit sells.  But JC Whitney list Pace
ceramic headrs for 64-74 & 75-80, for plain steel only 78-80.  Vicki
Btit lists plain steel headers for 67-77 & 78-80.  Are the ceramic
header a different configuration?( I think so ).
I would be interested in anyones elses experiences with these headers.

TIA
Dave Simpson
1976 Spitfire
NE Ohio