Re: Engine and gearbox numbers

To: chinn@easynet.co.uk, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Engine and gearbox numbers
From: GuyotLeonF <GuyotLeonF@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 1997 18:23:48 EST
In a message dated 13/12/97  14:36:30, you write:

<< Leon,
 You said you may be able to help me identify what I've got well I've had a
 rummage and here's what I've found
 I've got two engines and gearboxes
 Engines are
 HC54565HE is I think an original Vitesse engine from a '69 car I used to
 own, it's been in and out of a few cars so I could be wrong!

Yes indeed,HC denotes a Vitesse 2 Litre Mk.2 engine.
These are the 'best' engines to rebuild.
OK they have 500cc less than the 2498cc TR6 engine,but what they lose in
capacity and torque,they more than make up for in eagerness to rev and in
sporty driveability,c/w the long stroke 'sloggers',(my humble apologies to TR6
owners everywhere,as the TR6 is such a fine car),it's just that we have to
save as many of these HC engines as possible...(all Triumph engines in
fact),coz they are not making any more of them,and one day they'll all be
gone!

 MG 5646 HE (that's all I can read) is what came with KRN555H the 'basket
 case' which is registered as  2500cc on the VRD

MG huh? now there's an unfortunate combination of letters to be found on a
Triumph!
To the best of my knowledge it is a high compression engine originating from
either a 2500TC or 2.5PI Triumph 'Innsbruck' Saloon.
nb.VRD means Vehicle Registration Document or 'V5' which is what the
American's
refer to as a 'pink slip'
KRN 555H was,by the way originally registered in Preston,Lancashire between
1st August 1969 and 31st July 1970.

 Gearboxes are
 KF11795 with D type overdrive and wired gearlever- this was sold to me as a
 GT6 box, suitable for the Vitesse

KF huh,now there's curious,if that is really KF and not KE with the bottom of
the E obscured or worn away,then that is from an American market GT6-3,whereas
KE would be a British market GT6-3.
The D-type is OK,but I prefer the J-type personally.,talk with John Kipping
for advice.
He'll do a part exchange if you decide that's the way to go.

The other box, the one that came with KRN, looks very similar to the one in
 your in your car (much dirtier than in your picture!)

Well,that's not surprising as that box in my Vitesse originated from a
2500TC,well,the casing and Overdrive did,but not the remote,or the input shaft
or the gears or gearlever,or clutch slave cylinder or the slave cylinder
mounting bracket which originated from Dolomite Sprint,TR6 and GT6 in various
mixtures!

I can't find stamped  number in the 'usual' type places but there is one
stamped number of MB15465 together with various casting numbers like 306812
WYF E336/R with the number  3 underneath and 88312305. This box is in a bit of
a state and has lost it's oil I think, I couldn't turn it and that's a bad
sign in my book!
 If there's anyplace I should look again then let me know.
 Thanks

Umm,I can't remember where all the numbers are to be found on those boxes,but
the only that I can relate to above is MB15465 which indicates that it
originated from a Triumph 2000 Mk.1 Saloon,and it is possible that the number
306812 ,might just be a Triumph part number,but I don't have a Mk.1 Saloon
parts manual here,sorry.
The fact that it doesn't turn may not mean it is wrecked,but perhaps it just
rquires a rebuild?
Again,talk to John Kipping for advice about whether it is worth it or not.

Good Luck
And let us know how you get on
Leon.