Re: '74 TR6 Question

To: KMNTR6@aol.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: '74 TR6 Question
From: DANMAS <DANMAS@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 19:43:00 EST
In a message dated 97-12-15 11:34:46 EST, KMNTR6@aol.com writes:

> I've got a TR6 question. I think I've done something stupid today when I
>  changed my fuseblock for a new/used one. After the switch the parking brake
>  circuit will not turn off. It wasn't on before the switch. I think I've put
>  wire in the wrong place during the switch. Could someone with a '74 TR6
look
>  at their car and let me know which color wires go to which fuses. The
> parking
>  light wire (a red wire) is now connected to the bottom fuse. Or do you
think
>  there could be some other problem???

Ken:

Unless someone has butchered your wiring previously, there is nothing you
could have done at the fuse box to cause the parking brake lamp to stay on. It
is almost completely seperated from the fuse box (The white wire that feeds
power to it is also the white wire that feeds one of the fuses). Could it be
the brake failure switch that is keeping the light lit? Either the handbrake
switch or the brake failure switch will light the warning lamp. Perhaps in
moving around under the hood replacing the fuse box, you bumped the wiring to
the brake failure switch, which is in that area. Sometimes, when the failure
warning switch gets de-centered, the DPO just disconnects the wire to shut off
the light, instead of fixing it. It's possible that he just slighly pulled the
wire, and you knocked it back in place while changing the fuse box. To check
this, pull the connector from the failure switch, and see if the light goes
out. If it does, you will need to re-center the warning switch. Instructions
on how to do this can be found on the VTR web site maintainence pages. If not,
the handbrake switch probably needs adjusting. If neither of these fixes it,
you have a short to ground somewhere in the black/purple wires for this
circuit.

Anyway, as to the fuse box connections, from the factory there were four
fuses, with one of them as a spare. One fuse has a white wire (or wires) on
one side, and green wires on the other. Another fuse has a brown wire (or
wires) on one side, and purple wires on the other. The third fuse has a
red/green wire on one side, and red wires on the other. The white, brown, and
red/green wires should be on the same side of the box. The order of the fuses
isn't important, and may have been changed over the years by the DPO.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74