Re: Compressor data wanted

To: John Gillis <jgillis@tcd.ie>
Subject: Re: Compressor data wanted
From: Zink <zink@pdq.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 03:52:28 -0600
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
John Gillis wrote:

> Hello to one and all. In the Lab. where I work we are in the process
> of
> up-grading much of our equipment. One of the items being removed is an
> Atlas Copco compressor. I know this is a top make and the machine has
> had
> very little use since it was installed in 1973, what I can't figure
> out is
> how to gauge its output. I would normally look for the c.f.m rating,
> i.e
> cubic feet per metre, which would need to be around 7 to be of any use
> your run of the mill home restorer. On this machine however I can find
> only
> a rating in kp/cm2 and lb/in2, the former being a max of 10 and the
> latter
> 140. The second is obviously pounds per inch but what is the first and
> how
> do both equate to c.f.m ???. Is this machine worth having????, It does
> have
> a good sized tank at 150lt, all advice welcome.
>
> John Gillis
> 1954 TR2 TS3618. October 1954 (ground up)
> 1964 Triumph 3TA 350cc (a little gem)
> Trinity College
> Dublin,
> IRELAND.

John,

The CFM rating is the air flow rate of Cubic feet /minute.  The rating
you are seeing are the operating limits of the tank and compressor.
The Volume of the tank is about 45 US gallons, and I am assuming it is a
vertical mount with the motor and compressor pump mounted on the top.
Check the HP rating of the motor and see if the compreesor is a two
stage unit(this is the most preferred), you may be able to find a
performance plate on the compressor. I will hazard a guess that the unit
is probably a 5-8HP motor with a two stage pump, and you can probably
safely assume that it will put out between 10-11.5 CFM at 90 psi.

Larry Zink
More cars than a sane man should have.
1964 Spitfire4
1966 Ford T-Bird Town Coupe(Original)
1983 GMC C2500 P/U(HIghly Modified)
1989 Chevy Astro(soon to be slammed)
1995 Geo Tracker
1996 Chevy Van
1985 Buick GNX(son's new toy)
1987 GMC S-15 (was mine, now the son's)
Houston(Highest Insurance rates in the U.S.), Texas