PI Heads

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: PI Heads
From: dstauffa@csc.com
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 14:13:34 -0800
With the current posting on PI heads, I thought I should resubmit this:

Here's what I learned from reading various articles.  US Triumph sales had
been slumping for a few years and Leyland was intent upon improving the TR
marketability in the US.  The TR5 (TR250) was the first step in the
strategy with the TR6 to follow the following year.  Leyland felt that the
US dealers would be reluctant to embrace a new technology (fuel injection)
and not order the new cars.  This concern was directed at the cost of
training the mechanics would have to undergo and the extra expense of the
necessary test and repair equipment/facilities.  Leyland decided to play it
safe with its biggest market and issue what the US was familiar with, i.e.,
carbs.

The PI systems could have meet US emissions standards by simply
recalibrating the metering unit and taming down the camshaft.  Leyland
actually did this around 1973, dropping the 150 bhp to 125 bhp.

After all, its not the PI per se that determines the hp, its the cam and
compression ratio.  Those two elements have more to do with what goes out
the exhaust pipe that just the fuel delivery system.  The PI can be
calibrated to deliver a wide range of fuel to the cylinder.  It would be
easy to tone it down to meet US emission standards.

Just my thoughts...

Dave,
San Diego
1970 TR6 CP51649
 _______________________________________
|   ___  __      _ _  _  _  __          |
|    |   |_\  |  | |  |\/|  |_\  |_|    |
|    |   |\   |  |_|  |  |  |    | |    |
|_______________________________________|
   \                                 /
    \   I  N  J  E  C  T  I  O  N   /
     \_____________________________/

cc:   David J Stauffacher/TMG/CSC
Subject:  RE: Triple SU's/FI

So, Chris, what was the real reason?  That's very interesting, if they
made that up all along.
Jim Ruwaldt
'72 TR6 CC79338U, waiting for FI
Bloomington, IN

On Thu, 16 Oct 1997, Chris Bullock wrote:
> Well ... was it really that these PI cars didn't meet emissions?  I'm
hearing more and more that this wasn't actually the reason they weren't
shipped here.