Re: TR6 Transmission Enhancements?

To: twalli@vanheusen.com
Subject: Re: TR6 Transmission Enhancements?
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 13:37:59 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
 ("More B.S from Bob Schaller"), and he rants for
>a paragraph or two about the use of needle bearings in TRansmissions and how
>they contribute to the design life limit of about 7 years (Biblical isn't
>it?) by gradually hammering away at the surface of the shafts.  He
>recommends replacing these bearings with bushings that theoretically are in
>constant contact with the shaft rather than the tiny surface that the needle
>bearings afford.
******************************
If bushings, bronze or otherwise would have been better, believe me, BL and
ALL other tranny manufacturers would have used them.  They are much cheaper
to purchase, install, and easier to machine than ANY set of needle
bearings.  Truth is, other than increasing the size (or more correctly the
load rating) of the bearings, there is nothing better for this application
given the speeds, packaging constraints, and loads imposed on these items.
Actually a set of tapered roller bearings (similar to that in use on the
front wheels) would be even better as would be a suitably sized ball
bearing (read replaceable), but given the size limitations your really
stuck with needle bearings -

Barry Schwartz
bschwart@pacbell.net