Re: A vs. J-type

To: "McGaheyRx" <McGaheyRx@aol.com>, <turner@turner.se>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: A vs. J-type
From: "Irv Korey" <emanteno@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 07:05:49 -0600
Jack Mc wrote:

> Another thing you will need to consider: mounting brackets on the frame
> for the gearbox/od changed in 73 - a J-od will bolt right on to your 74
frame
> but an A-od will require some adaptation.

An A type overdrive transmission is a direct bolt in replacement for the
standard tranny on a 74 TR6. If you were replacing a J type with an A type,
or if you were adding a J type overdrive tranny as a replacement for the
standard box, you would need to make some rear mount mods.

I put an A type in my 74 in 1985. It was a simple replacementand is GREAT.
The overdrive works in 2nd gear as well as 3rd and 4th, but I seldom have
the need to us overdrive in other than 4th. I see no advantage in street
driving to use overdrive in 2nd, unless you just like to show off.
;-)

Irv Korey
74 TR6 CF22767U
Highland Park, IL