Re: TR4 Engine Restoration

To: "William F Daehler"<WFDaehle@mail.delcoelect.com>
Subject: Re: TR4 Engine Restoration
From: "Chris Lillja" <Chris_Lillja@Pupress.Princeton.Edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 11:41:00 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
> Oil pump.  Similar thing.  Can't understand why people would buy a new oil
> pump, or a pump rebuild kit.  That's because I haven't played with it yet
> to see what the wear points would be.  Check for clearance eh? If there's
> clearance what's going to wear out?

You'd think with all that oil going through it it would NEVER wear out. My oil
press
seems great so I'm not worring about it...

> As to your decisions on your engine.  Very interesting.  Shaved 0.075?  Is
> this to ensure a good seal to the block, fresh flat metal surface so to
> speak?

Yes. ...if you use the right head gasket...(solid copper or steel) and it will
raise
compression to about 10.25/1 -- pretty much the streetable limit. I use Sunoco
ultra with
a healthy dose of octane booster. I might have to suppliment that with a little
CAM2
racing gas.

 Mild Cam?  Bought a new one? What was wrong with the old one?  Worn
> lobes? Is mild cam a stock cam?

I bought Moss' mild performance cam....it's more or less the same duration but
with a
good bit more lift. Stock lift .390 New lift: .435

Had I known better I would had ISKY regrind my stock cam for about 1/2 the
price...but
at least I have the stock cam around if I want to switch back....

Basically I'm following Kas Kastner's suggestions for a streetable TR4 engine.
I expect
125hp (vs. 104 stock) once she's dialed in....

In a nutshell:

Raise compression. Port and polish. Use mild cam. Rich carb needles. (SW?)
Obtain 4.11
gears. (that was a hard one..) I added big Triumph Tune stainless valves (the
exhausts
are MUCH bigger...the intakes are almost identical) and I'll be using a
stainless
performance dual exhaust meant for the TR6...

..someday I may add a stainless header...

I don't think I'm going wild --- but I don't think I'll take any lip from a
smogged TR6
(or a stock, early, Miata), either.... ;>)

...have fun!

Christopher M.Lillja
Marketing Associate
Princeton University Press