RE: Jump Starting TR3

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Jump Starting TR3
From: "Brent Smith" <bsmith@inetnow.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 09:39:11 -0500
>If you install your battery with negative ground you will have to rewire
>most of your instruments first.  There is nothing wrong with positive
>ground.

The only instrument on a TR3 that you would need to touch is the ammeter;
all you do is swap the leads.  The other instruments are not polarity
sensitive.  However, you do need to do a couple of other things to go to
negative ground, but the whole job takes less than an hour.  I did it ten
years ago and my car runs fine--no bad effects at all; and, if you want to
put in a modern radio, you will need negative ground.  Attempts to install
modern electronics in a positive ground car through isolation invariably
come to failure.  The concours judges don't seem to have a problem with the
swap either.

Instructions on how to do the swap were published by Lucus, but there are
other versions around, probably on the VTR site.  If you can't find them,
send me a private email with a fax number and I will send you the info.

Brent Smith
Atlanta, Georgia
1960 TR3A
1986 XJ6 SIII