Re: TR6 electronic ignition

To: LBOTTOM2 <LBOTTOM2@aol.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 electronic ignition
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 09:50:53 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

LBOTTOM2 wrote:

> Recently placed an Ignitor Electronic Ignition into my TR6...fits under the
> distributor cap and replaces the points and condenser. Started right up, but
> ran horribly. After a couple of spins around the block I took off the cap and
> found it filled with dust and that plastic around the contacts had been broken
> away in a couple of spots. Took it out, put back the old guts, checked the
> point gap, advanced the timing to 12 BTDC and now it is running like a top. Is
> this common with the Ignitor system or did I do something wrong? Not much to
> putting it together, so I can't see what I did wrong there. Thanks...
>
> Steve Longbottom
> Media, Pa
> 72 TR6
> 75 TR7

  Steve,
Obviously, you had a clearance problem with one or more of the pieces.  I think
it
is always a good idea to assemble those kinds of kits with the Distributor off
the
engine.  You can then spin the shaft manually and check to see if anything is
rubbing before firing up the car and risking further damage.

Joe Curry   '63 Spit