Re: magnesium wheels?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: magnesium wheels?
From: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 97 11:13:00 PST

Aaron Johnson wrote:
        > Yes magnesium wheels do wear out...Most racing magnesium wheel
        > are only good for about 1000-2000 miles....

All,
        I'm not a metallurgist, but this is a question often asked by
Pantera owners.  Panteras were sold with magnesium wheels made by
Campagnolo, and are they light!  However, 25 years later, there is some
concern for the safety of these aging wheels.

        Basically, there are 2 camps; those that believe that the
magnesium oxidises (a polished wheel will tarnish overnight if it lives
near the sea!) and become brittle with age, and those that believe
that oxidation can be minimised by painting or powder coating the wheel
and checking the finish regularly for paint chips etc.

        Having said that, and looking at the number of 25 year old,
100,000+ mile Panteras that are driven hard and raced, I've yet to hear
one story of wheel failure.  Perhaps they are accidents waiting to happen,
but any responsible owner should check their "mag" wheels regularly, especially
is they should hit rocks or large potholes.

        I keep my Campis polished and clear-coated.  Polished magnesium is
totally unlike polished aluminium or chrome, as it has a "depth".  I
often get many people asking how I manage to get the finish on the
wheels.  Even kids with their lowered Hondas and 4" s/s exhaust pipes
say "Awesome wheels, Dude".

        Not awesome, just magnesium.

        Shane Ingate in San Diego