radiator duct ALUMINUM vs. Plastic?

To: fred thomas <vafred@erols.com>
Subject: radiator duct ALUMINUM vs. Plastic?
From: Justin Wagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 12:18:17 -0800
Cc: "Will O'Brien" <hobrien@webos1.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

> Will,  you have to be sure there is space for give and take with bumps as
> you drive, I don't think aluminum is the answer in this redesign for duct
> work.  --fred thomas

*************************

My 2 cents:

Aluminum appears to be used EXTENSIVELY in all auto racing... and I've
seen it everywhere in the pits at any given vintage racing event...
(Comments from the vintage racers here?)

You have a point... though... so it would, indeed, be wise to design in
some play and/or rubber buffers, mounts, etc.

The key here is that aluminum is quite easy to work with... with minimum
of investment in tools... etc... tools which can be used for other
purposes around the home, etc... (hence, a good investment)

And, on a side note... aluminum doesn't burn...

I work with plastics extensively in my work... mostly Styrene... and I
do a lot of vacuum forming...  I would not recommend plastics for this
application UNLESS you have the experience & can afford to make molds
and have them formed... Generally, I find the average person doing this
in plastic would simply cut out their pieces and glue/pop-rivet the
thing together.  And this being the case... I think Aluminum would be
better.

Once you start getting into vaccuum forming... then some great
structural, functional, and aesthetic curves can come into play...
etc...  then I'd say ABS!

Just my 2-cents....

Coincidentally... I may be entering a product in this area next
summer...  but first some gaskets for other Triumphs... :)

--Justin