Low Compression on Spit

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Low Compression on Spit
From: NA Campiglia <spitdrvr@camalott.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 1997 18:21:40 -0600
Hello all and happy holidays.

I was working on my buddies Spit today, he got some goodies for Christmas,
and we did a compression check.  It wasn't sounding right and we found out
why, 1&2 cyl are reading 30 and 3&4 are reading 125.  My question is, could
this be the valves or is it the rings?  It doesn't seem to burning any oil
and has a new head gasket.  The gasket was changed recently and I was
wondering if the valves were not set correct when the head was
re-installed?  Could the valves be burned?  I thought this was a strange
thing that the 1 &2 are the same exact Reading and the 3&4 are the same exact.

If anyone has some insight to this please help us avoid a needless rebuild...

Thanks

NA Campiglia III
Abilene, TX
http://camalott.com/~spitdrvr
'67 MkIII, '74 1500, '76 1500 (Euro Specs, Parts Car)
Triumph Owner and Homebrewer at large