Re: Low Compression on Spit

To: NA Campiglia <spitdrvr@camalott.com>
Subject: Re: Low Compression on Spit
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 1997 21:19:20 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

NA Campiglia wrote:

> Hello all and happy holidays.
>
> I was working on my buddies Spit today, he got some goodies for Christmas,
> and we did a compression check.  It wasn't sounding right and we found out
> why, 1&2 cyl are reading 30 and 3&4 are reading 125.  My question is, could
> this be the valves or is it the rings?  It doesn't seem to burning any oil
> and has a new head gasket.  The gasket was changed recently and I was
> wondering if the valves were not set correct when the head was
> re-installed?  Could the valves be burned?  I thought this was a strange
> thing that the 1 &2 are the same exact Reading and the 3&4 are the same exact.
>
> If anyone has some insight to this please help us avoid a needless rebuild...

Nick,
I have to agree with some others that have replied.  The most likely possibility
is that there is a leak between the front two chambers.  Could be due to a
number
of things.

1. Bad gasket.
2. Upside down gasket ( the 1300/1500 gasket has a ridge that is compressed into
the groove around the cyl.)
3. Bad torque job (improper sequence)
4. A little known installation tip is included on a small scrpa of paper with
Stanpart head gaskets. It says in effect that after the spit is fired up and
brought up to operating temperature, it should be re-torqued Hot.  The bolts
will
be surprisingly loose.  BTW, I have not seen this note anywhere else.  I did
this
and haven't had any head gasket problems since

Regards,
Joe Curry.