Re: Rust reformer

To: EPaul21988 <EPaul21988@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Rust reformer
From: Joe Worsley <worsley@ebicom.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 1997 19:04:53 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
EPaul21988 wrote:

> Has anyone ever used any of the 'rust reformer'  type products on the market.
> Can they be painted over ?  Do they prevent the formation of rust after
> application? Do they create any problems with later work?  Is this a
> reasonable way to protect unpainted parts temporarily ?
>
> TIA
> Bob Paul

Bob,

Most of them are Phosporic Acid.  The work good on mild rust.  Any large chunks
should
be remover to allow it to work down to the base metal.  It changes the rust in
to a non
ferious coating which will not rust.  It isn't water resistant though so you
will have
to paint over it or it will rust again before long.

When you apply it let it dry completely until a powder coating forms.  Then
just wipe it
off - don't sand or wire brush it.  Auto body paint suppliers have it in a
diluted
solution that can be wiped on.  I like to get it from industrial suppliers in a
gallon
jug.  It's a much stronger solution.  With this it will be gummy until it dries
completely so be patient.  I had a crew paint a neopreme ruber roof over metal
decking
before it dried.  What a mess.

It's also good for preping (etching)galvanized metal too.

There's another type that leaves a black coating but I don't remember what it
is.

Joe Worsley
80 TR8
72 TR6