Re: Bad Battery?

To: "Todd W. Sigety" <toddsig@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Bad Battery?
From: Dean Paige <ecopaige@metro.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 10:15:50 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Todd W. Sigety wrote:

> Happy Holidays,
>
> I have been having some problems getting my TR6 to start.  The battery
> is less than 1 year old, the car cranks strongly without any problem or
> hesitation, but it will not start or it takes a lot of effort and
> cranking to get it to start.
>
> If I use jumper cables, even when the battery is not low, it will start
> right away. Any suggestions on what might be the cause.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Todd Sigety
> 1970 TR6
> Alexandria, VA

Absolute first thing I'd do is check the point gap. TR's are infamous for
slipping points. Makes the car really difficult to start and also really
screws up performance, very sluggish feeling and terrible gas mileage. A
TR shold start easily if everything electric and fuel wise is OK. AND
with an electronic ignition they start unbelievably well. It was
20 F the other morning and I no sooner turned the key than mine fired up.
On warmer mornings the thing barely needs choke. If you've got a strong
battery and hard start but firing, from hard experience I'd bet its the
points.

Deano