Whats a fair price?

To: Bollen <bollen@ibm.net>
Subject: Whats a fair price?
From: "\"Mr. Mike\" Passaretti" <passaretti@sol.med.ge.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 10:11:20 -0600
Cc: triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, TR8 <tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
    Bollen> My question iswas $320 a reasonable price for a complete job,
    Bollen> or did I get screwed.?"I felt at the time it was a
    Bollen> very reasonable price for a fair amount of
    Bollen> work. Would other listers hve paid up, or demanded
    Bollen> to have it done properly at the quoted price? I
    Bollen> have used these people before with no
    Bollen> problems.Thanks in advance for your input.

I guess it all depends on whether you ever want to go back
there.  My feeling on this sort of thing is that the people
are supposed to know the business.  If they quote it, they
should do it.  Period.  That said, I've had the local britcar
folks do some work for me and once or twice had them call and
say "We got inside your frobnitz and the gizmo is scored" or
somesuch and say that a used, solid one is $$ and a new one is
$$$ and which do I want, (and usually waive the labour).  I
don't mind that so much.  But don't decide to put in a new
one, charge me 2 hours at $65 per (all over estimate) and then
expect me to swallow it after the fact while holding my car
hostage.  That's not good business.
                                                        -MM