Standard-Triumph Engines.

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, amace@unix2.nysed.gov
Subject: Standard-Triumph Engines.
From: GuyotLeonF <GuyotLeonF@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 16:55:12 EST
Interesting talk on the list about the origin of Standard and Triumph
engines/cars etc.
   Next time I see Steve Redway (TR Register) or Harry Webster,I'll ask them
myself.
However,I might point out that Ted 'Graham' as referred to is actually Ted
'Grinham'
He was Standards' Chief Engineer from 1931 until 1936,when he became Technical
Director,replaced by Harry Webster in 1956,as Chief Engineer until
1968,although he stayed on as a Director of 'Triumph' until 1970.
   The TR6 was not BTW,designed by Karmann of Germany. It was in fact designed
by Giovanni Michelotti and 're-styled' by Karmann before entering
production,noteably to the front and rear of the car.,Michelotti's
prototype,which still exists,clearly shows Michelotti's styling cues.
   I think it is rare indeed to find any car anywhere in the world which was
entirely the product of any one company or even country,even Triumph.
Personally,I think anyone can call whatever they like an LBC,it matters not
one jot,but THIS dear friends is the TRIUMPH list and must remain ever more
so...there is no harm in commenting or even comparing our Triumphs with more
modern concoctions,but leave them to their own lists,and devices! lest we
should dilute our pure TRiumph fun...
   ps.I have heard the rumour that the 803cc and 948cc Triumph engines used in
the Standard 8 from 1953,and developed by David Eley in 1950/51 were based on
the BMC A-series engines of identical capacity,but that false story has long
since been laid to rest.Eley himself assured Graham Robson that it was "purely
a coincidence".
    I recently heard also that the boss of TVR has ordered that TVR stop using
the Rover ex.Buick 3528cc V8 engine,because "Rover is now a German Company"
and he "won't have anything German on their cars" .
Well,I don't know how true that is,but it seems rather odd to say the least!!!
given that excellent engines' long history...
   According to my copy of 'Standard News:Motor Show number 1957'
Standard factories are the world's most up to date with 4.5 million GBP
invested in plant and equipment,the three great Standard factories at Coventry
with 2.7 million square feet of productive area,employing 10,500 workers - you
would be looking at one of the world's most up to date 'car and tractor'
plants.
Then there is a lot of blurb about automation:
What all this means is 150 transfer and other modern machines installed to
replace 850 older models,while over 1,000 machines have been completely re-
tooled
Some of these giant machines are up to 120 feet long and weigh up to 200
tons,and the complexity of working has to be seen to be believed. The Line-
transfer machines are capable of operating on three sides of a component and
the number of operations automatically performed ranges from six to fifty.
There are Rotary Index machines where the components are mounted on jigs on a
circular table whereby a number of components can be operated on at once and a
continuous flow maintained because the machine is loaded and unloaded while in
operation. Twenty operations are performed in one cycle using thirty tools.
The Standard Mo.Co.was the first to use the next machine:The Crank Milling
Machine,which performs the almost incredible operation of milling all four
crankpins at one setting. Machining is completed five times faster than by any
other method.
    Finally,a quote from Standard Mo.Co.  M.D. Alick Dick:
"The introduction of this new machinery has involved many complex problems not
only of a technical,but also of a human nature;but we were sustained in our
efforts by the belief that modernisation is our duty and responsibility. We
recognise that the future prosperity of the Company and of its employees rests
entirely on the ability to compete on equal terms in the markets of the world.
Unless British industry is competitive,and unless individual companies with
industry are competitive,we shall lose our markets and our standard of living
will inevitably fall. It is clearly,therefore,the
responsibility of management to provide the most modern plant and equipment to
enable each employee to produce more and thus increase his standard of
living".
(sorry that was rather long,but I thought it an insight into ST during 1957
might be of interest to some of you?) Leon.
(ps.I wish you could see the eight b/w pictures of the engine production
lines!)