Re: Need Spit / GT6 coil spring info..

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, suchak@mediaone.net
Subject: Re: Need Spit / GT6 coil spring info..
From: "Larry Hooven" <dirty_howi@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 11:57:03 PST

>et>
>
>I'm considering swapping shortened coil springs from a GT6 into my
>Spitfire, thinking that they're stiffer.  Has anyone ever done such a
>thing or know why it wouldn't work?  Also, when cutting a coil or two
>out of a coil spring, how does one deal with getting the cut off end to
>sit neatly in the saddle?  Also, what's the best way to cut it?
>
>Thanks!
>
>John

john,

in my experience helping my friends work on thier mini trucks in my
early days, cutting coil springs to lower the ride height of the vehicle
results in a ride not unlike that of a sherman tank. (never rode in a
sherman, but rode in many an m2 bradly) as far as the way to cut it and
get it to seat, we used to just grind them flat to get em in, little by
little till they fit.  of course i don't know if that would work on a
spitfire, not made it to that part of my car yet.  soon though i hope,
if i can keep every other car on the road long enough to go back to it.

larry,
1979 spitfire  #FM99248U

currently topless/wireless/swaybarless/water pump less etc.

wired by a blind orangatan in a dark garage on a moonless
night.

pardon me i have been looking for myself, have you seen me
anywhere?