RE: TR3 head removal

To: Chris Prugh <prubrew@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: RE: TR3 head removal
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 14:58:08 -0500 (EST)
Cc: "'Adrio Taucer'" <adrio@capitalnet.com>, "'British List'" <british-cars@Autox.Team.Net>, "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Tue, 30 Dec 1997, Chris Prugh wrote:

> Adrio,
>
>       There is always the "rope trick".  Pull the plugs, get your 10' length
> of .375" - .5" dia rope, and feed in to spark plug hole of offending end of
>motor.
> Compressing this soft material inside the cylinder and against the head while
> turning the crank by hand from the main pulley should force the head up and
>free
> of the studs.
>
> Write back if any of this is unclear...I'm on some serious medication today

Hope the medication is doing its job, Chris! :-)

Meanwhile, a word of caution -- or maybe not. On the "wet-liner" engines
such as the TR3 and TR4, I'm just wondering if the rope trick is a good
idea. Most of the manuals detail all kinds of cautions about disturing
the liners by turning the crank/pistons while the head is off or loose.
The reason is the risk of damaging the seal of the figure-8 gaskets at
the bottom of the liners, thereby necessitating more disassembly and
renewing of items that one might have otherwise anticipated doing.

I'm just wondering if the otherwise great rope trick might contribute to
this problem. Any real-world experience out there on this task with the
wet-liner engines?

--Andy