Re: Triumph Bicycles

To: Richard S Augustine <raugusti@shepards.com>
Subject: Re: Triumph Bicycles
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 13:41:23 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Wed, 31 Dec 1997, Richard S Augustine wrote:

> Now a question.  What is the relationship of the Triumph Bicycle company to
> the Triumph marque?  Is it an off shoot of the motorcycle company?  My mother
> picked up a Triumph Bicycle for me at a thrift shop for $20, so it got my
> interest up.

Scott, any relationship is long since gone. I believe at one time it was
all one and the same, but the motorcycle end of Triumph was sold off in
the 1930s. Currently, Raleigh owns the Triumph bicycle name along with
Rollfast and most other classic "English" bicycle names.

--Andy

p.s. I, too, have a circa 1964-65 Triumph bicycle -- blue, girl's model,
used to be my sister's bike back in the 1960s. Note that you can tell
roughtly when the bike was built, as the Sturmey-Archer hub has a date
code (month/year) on it much like so many Lucas components on your
Triumph car!