Re: Engine Tuning

To: Kenneth Brown <kbrown@trmx3.dot.ca.gov>
Subject: Re: Engine Tuning
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 1998 12:15:44 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Ken writes:
>I hear a lot of engine tuners talking about Stage II and Stage lll
>engines.......what are they talking about specifically????
*********************************
Ken,
More than likely it is referring to the "kits" that BL used to offer when
these cars were new.  During the racing programs that BL was supporting for
Triumphs certain items were developed for these cars.  The "stage" was the
degree of modifications that were needed to accomplish the same results
(almost) that the race engineered cars were running at the time.  Stage one
might comprise a single sidraft Weber/manifold combo (or two for the six),
and headers, with a slightly hotter cam.  Stage two would up the ante by
adding a free flowing head slightly more radical cam, and Stage three would
go even farther with a higher compression, big valve free flow head, even
more radical cam suitable only for racing, and dual (or triple for the six)
Webers.  This is only an example of the 'kits' and the actual items may
vary slightly.  I don't have the stage kit information handy at the moment,
but that's the basic idea - the "S2 cam" etc. are performance grinds of the
cam's as used in these cars -

Barry Schwartz   (San Diego)
bschwart@pacbell.net

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (When I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spit (Currently undergoing a frame off)
73 Ford Courier (parts hauler)