Re: Engine Tuning

To: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Engine Tuning
From: Brian Harper <brian@ati.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 1998 08:53:07 -0800
At 12:15 PM 1/6/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Ken writes:
>>I hear a lot of engine tuners talking about Stage II and Stage lll
>>engines.......what are they talking about specifically????
>*********************************
>Ken,
>More than likely it is referring to the "kits" that BL used to offer when
>these cars were new...

        The terms are used pretty universally in the tuning world seperately
from
whatever the manufacturer offered. Your description was pretty accurate,
however. Stage 1 is generally the easy, bolt on replacement of whatever are
the biggest coupla items holding the horses back. Usually still very
streetable. Stage two usually is the next big step, usually cams, sometimes
pistons, head work, valves, springs. Generally for the enthusiast on the
street, but no one else really wants to go for a ride for long. Stage three
is the next big $tep. This is where turbo and superchargers and
intercoolers often find their way in. Sometimes different cranks, major
overboring, cams that barely idle. A lot of these motors are good for
posing and producing a lot of noise and horsepower and not much else.
Anyway, my point was supposed to be that the parts vary by car and tuner,
but the $eriousness of the mods pretty much define the steps.
        Suspension tuners will often offer three stages also:
Stage 1: a little stiffer
Stage 2: wife no longer rides in car
Stage 3: Fillings fall out

Brian Harper