what tool do i use now

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: what tool do i use now
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 13:25:17 -0000
Evangelos,
You've already had enough answers on how to remove the plug! A 1/2" drive
on your socket wrench should be quite adequate. As someone else commented,
the spring loaded ball should recess anyway. I wouldn't think too many
people in Greece hold 1/2" stock - it was a metric country when I last
visited it!
The only thing I wanted to add is this. I don't ever remember the Spitfire
having a drain plug - only a filler, hence it was effectively regarded as
"Sealed for Life" assembly and maintenance free. Cobblers! A former chum
and colleague from Shell oil once told me he had zero confidence in
anyone's oil being able to last for life. Okay, axle oil doesn't have
anything like the same contaminants as would be found in an engine but it
does suffer from breakdown over a prolonged period from the 'shearing'
action of the drive pinion on the crown wheel. If you're thinking of poking
around down there (and if I was in your situation) I wouldn't bother about
just taking out the plug to top up with fresh oil. Subject to the responses
this thread might precipitate about access, I'd go under your car with some
suitable wrenches/spanners, a waterproof hat and a large bowl. Take off the
cover, drain out the oil and then spend some time with a paintbrush and
some kero/paraffin and wash out the diff. Before you start all this, smell
the oil deposit on plug when you remove it, or dip your little finger into
the oil in there. If you detect an aroma which indicates a family of
tom-cats have been living there and "marking territory" as tom-cats do, or
it just smells absolutely foul - don't hesitate. Remove the diff backplate
and get on with a dirty job. Let the diff fully dry out for 24 hours,
replace the cover (a new gasket would be sensible if you can get one) and
then refill.
Good luck
John Macartney

John Macartney