Re: Clutch advice please.

To: Bollen <bollen@ibm.net>
Subject: Re: Clutch advice please.
From: Lenny Seidman <lseidman@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 1998 09:11:35 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Bollen wrote:

> I replaced the slave cylinder( Girling), flex hose and resleeved the M/C
> on the Tr8 because of poor shifting and noise getting into reverse and
> there is not much improvement.Although the M/C is exactly like the one
> on my Tr6, its much harder to bleed for some reason. Anyway, I think all
> the air is finally out, so I'm wondering what is there in the
> bellhousing that could cause lost motion. The car only has 55K on it.
> Thanks,
> Stu

Stu, what type of trans fluid are you using? I had to use ATF in my TR7
and TR8 transmissions so I could shift easily.

I would also check to see if when you put the clutch in the crankshaft
is not moving forward excessively. You can do this by having some one
watch the fan blade or end of crankshaft outside front of engine. This
would indicate a thrust washer problem and would cause loss of motion on
the clutch because the flywheel is moving with the crankshaft.

I hope it's just a fluid problem but I had a very similar problem on a
TR7 that turned out to be tthrust washers/crankshaft problem.

Good luck,

Lenny
--
Lenny Seidman