Re: Help, Broken Bleeder Screw

To: mlibhart@feist.com
Subject: Re: Help, Broken Bleeder Screw
From: "Brad Kahler" <Brad.Kahler@141.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 09:59:58 -0600
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Comments: Authenticated sender is <Brad.Kahler@pop.141.com>
Martin,

> The bleeder fittings are a fairly soft metal.  E-Z Out didn't work
> for me, just twisted in the soft metal.  I drilled out the bleeder
> fitting as close as I could WITHOUT touching the actual threads in
> the caliper.  A tap then cut thru the remaining fitting metal quite
> easily while also cleaning out the threads.  New fitting installed
> with no problem.

So far this morning thats what I'm experiencing.  The easyout is just
twisting.  Is the bleeder screw metric or standard threads?  I did
manage to find two new bleeder screws the right length and thread
size, the taper is slightly different on the end.  I would think that
if I get these back together properly and the new bleeder screws
work while bleeding then they should hold for regular driving.  I'm
going to try one more time with the easy out and if that doesn't do
it then I'll try the tap method.

Thanks for the feed back, thats whats so great about this list, there
are so many different approaches to the same problem.

Brad

1964 Spitfire4            BFC25720L (After 10 years will be on the road in
March!!!)
1966 TR4A                CT72398L (Needs Restoration)
1951 Dodge Truck    82217766  B-3-B-108 (Boxes & Boxes of parts right now)