Re: automatic transmissions

To: "Ackley, Aaron T" <ackleya@hq.7arcom.army.mil>
Subject: Re: automatic transmissions
From: George Richardson <gprtech@frontiernet.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 06:56:30 -0500
Cc: Allen Nugent <A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au>, James <james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
I had one of the VW "Automatic StickShift" equiped Beetles. A set of
contacts in the shift lever controlled a vacuum solenoid which in turn
controlled the clutch. The car also had a torque converter like an
automatic.

Although it was great fun to drive, the use of the torque converter
caused a serious loss of power at low speeds.

The reason I got the car, which was in excellent shape, was because the
owners couldn't get the local VW dealer to properly service the Auto
StickShift. The clutch release rate varied with engine vacuum and the
contacts, which were not replaceable except by replacing the shifter,
were prone to arcing and wear.

After a week cleaning everything up, I never had problems with it for
the next 2 years that I owned it.

--
George Richardson
'57 TR3, TS15559L